Monday, August 3, 2009

Whitsunday Sailing Trip









The boat trip we booked was kind of unique because instead of staying on the boat, we went out on two different boats with one day in between spent on one of the islands. The first day we took Reefquest out to the Great Barrier Reef where it docks up to a pontoon with all the diving and snorkeling stuff, a water slide, and a glass bottom boat. This was the big day I was going to try scuba diving again so I was a little nervous. But once they started explaining it, it already seemed like it would be a lot better than the last time. It was definitely the Kindergarten of scuba instruction...like, put just your face in...ok, now kneel down and breath. Very easy. So by the time I was actually all the way under water, I was used to it and it was easy. I really wish the other scuba trip had been the same way but I'm glad I got to do it eventually. My favorite sea creature I saw was the giant clams.

When we left the pontoon, the other boat dropped us off on Long Island where we would stay for two nights. Technically we stayed at a resort, but it was the backpackers part of it so there wasn't anything deluxe. And we were captive to their one restaurant which was overpriced and not that good. The island itself was pretty and it had a nice beach. We spent the next day there just hanging out...which seemed to go painfully slow because it's the resort's low season and there were only a couple other people there. I know, whaaa, we were stuck on a beautiful tropical island in paradise, poor us.

On the third day, we took there ferry out to Daydream Island where a catamaran called Camira picked us up to take us to Whitehaven Beach. Whitehaven is the most famous beach in the Whitsundays because it has pure white silica sand. It squeaks under your feet when you walk because it's so fine. Also, everyone who's been there will tell you something new you can do with it. I've heard you can make it into a paste and use it to clean your jewelery or brush your teeth...apparently it's used in some famous telescope lens...you can probably throw it up in the air and it turns into fireworks, I don't know, I'm not sure of all its magical powers. But I do know it was really pretty and the whitest sand I've ever seen. It would have been the perfect beach except it didn't have any palm trees.

Back to Airlie that night...

No comments:

Post a Comment