Mmm, mussels
Sunset on the coast of the south island
Seals!

Playing with the seals!
We made it to Wellington. Day before yesterday we drove about 3 hours and got here early afternoon. The national museum is here so that’s where we went first. We were hoping it had more basic New Zealand history, things we had been wondering about, but it was more focused on art and nature. There were a lot of exhibits about the natural wildlife and where different animals and bugs came from that weren’t here originally. They also had a preserved giant squid that was caught by a fishing boat in 2008 somewhere between Antarctica and New Zealand. It was a very interactive museum and surprisingly free, which is always good.
Somewhere along the way to Wellington, it got SO cold. And it’s been raining off and on so that makes it feel even colder. I’m going to have to buy some warmer clothes at some point. And it’s too cold to wear flip flops anymore so I have to wear my tennis shoes with jeans…I look like I’m in middle school. And since I’ve been freezing the past couple nights, we stopped at The Warehouse (NZ version of Kmart/Target) and I bought a giant sweatsuit to sleep in and an extra blanket.
Yesterday morning it was drizzly and gross, but we had plans to go to the botanical gardens. It eventually stopped raining and it was still cloudy but we decided to go anyway. Places like that are always less crowded when it’s not sunny so at least that’s a plus. The gardens had a HUGE rose garden with all the different kinds labeled. It was interesting to read all the names. It also had a begonia house and a cool overlook of Wellington.
After the gardens, we drove about an hour and a half outside Wellington to look for a colony of seals that hangs out on the beaches. It is also the most southern point of the North Island. It was still a cloudy day and because of the storms the night before, the waves were really big. These beaches had black sand, which is cool, but also looks kind of dirty. When we got there, we expected to have to look for the seals but they were in the grass right between the road and the water. All we had to go was pull over and get as close as we wanted. Katy told me they would chase me if I got too close but I was pretty sure I could out run a seal, or at least I would hope so. And they don’t even run, they flop around. About 10-15 ft was close enough for me. There was also a lighthouse. So I’ve been to the lighthouse at the northern most point of the North Island and the southern most point of the North Island. I wonder if they have the same deal on the South Island.
We drove back to Wellington in time to have dinner at some Asian-fusion restaurant we read about. I got some mussel fritters that were really good. I think I might turn into a mussel by the time I leave New Zealand.
This morning we slept in a little, packed up our stuff and discovered our cheese was missing. When Katy said it was gone, I said, “Who moved my cheese?”…she didn’t get it. After mourning the loss of our cheese, we got some brunch at a small cafĂ© near where we ate dinner. Katy and I both got eggs benedict and it was some of the best I’ve ever had…top 3, at least. I also had a lot of coffee because Wellington is known for its good coffee.
Then it was time to catch the ferry…we had to be there an hour early, yuck. I made sure I took my seasick medicine before I got on the boat. I had heard it was supposed to be extra wavy because of the weather. The ferry takes about three hours, and you park your car down below and then go hang out on the top decks and do whatever you want. The ride was AWFUL, it was so choppy. I even got a little seasick with the medicine so I can’t imagine if I hadn’t taken it. I would have been puking over the edge the entire time.
When we got off the ferry, we headed towards Abel Tasman National Park which is at the very top of the island. We thought about skipping this area because we would have to back-track a little bit, but after reading about it we decided it is worth seeing. Since we didn’t get off the ferry until almost 5, we decided to drive to Nelson, which is about halfway there. There was also a little town on the way to Nelson that called itself “the mussel capital of New Zealand”…which is weird because I thought I had already been to “the mussel capital of New Zealand” when I was in the Coromandel Peninsula. I guess anyone is allowed to claim to be whatever they want. We stopped at this particular mussel capital and had steamed mussels…some in white wine and garlic, some in Thai curry with coconut milk…both very good.
I’m also looking forward to the south island because the towns have names like “Nelson” and “Christchurch” instead of “Whatuwuiwui” and ‘Manganui.” It will be a lot easier for me to remember where I am and where I’m going.
Somewhere along the way to Wellington, it got SO cold. And it’s been raining off and on so that makes it feel even colder. I’m going to have to buy some warmer clothes at some point. And it’s too cold to wear flip flops anymore so I have to wear my tennis shoes with jeans…I look like I’m in middle school. And since I’ve been freezing the past couple nights, we stopped at The Warehouse (NZ version of Kmart/Target) and I bought a giant sweatsuit to sleep in and an extra blanket.
Yesterday morning it was drizzly and gross, but we had plans to go to the botanical gardens. It eventually stopped raining and it was still cloudy but we decided to go anyway. Places like that are always less crowded when it’s not sunny so at least that’s a plus. The gardens had a HUGE rose garden with all the different kinds labeled. It was interesting to read all the names. It also had a begonia house and a cool overlook of Wellington.
After the gardens, we drove about an hour and a half outside Wellington to look for a colony of seals that hangs out on the beaches. It is also the most southern point of the North Island. It was still a cloudy day and because of the storms the night before, the waves were really big. These beaches had black sand, which is cool, but also looks kind of dirty. When we got there, we expected to have to look for the seals but they were in the grass right between the road and the water. All we had to go was pull over and get as close as we wanted. Katy told me they would chase me if I got too close but I was pretty sure I could out run a seal, or at least I would hope so. And they don’t even run, they flop around. About 10-15 ft was close enough for me. There was also a lighthouse. So I’ve been to the lighthouse at the northern most point of the North Island and the southern most point of the North Island. I wonder if they have the same deal on the South Island.
We drove back to Wellington in time to have dinner at some Asian-fusion restaurant we read about. I got some mussel fritters that were really good. I think I might turn into a mussel by the time I leave New Zealand.
This morning we slept in a little, packed up our stuff and discovered our cheese was missing. When Katy said it was gone, I said, “Who moved my cheese?”…she didn’t get it. After mourning the loss of our cheese, we got some brunch at a small cafĂ© near where we ate dinner. Katy and I both got eggs benedict and it was some of the best I’ve ever had…top 3, at least. I also had a lot of coffee because Wellington is known for its good coffee.
Then it was time to catch the ferry…we had to be there an hour early, yuck. I made sure I took my seasick medicine before I got on the boat. I had heard it was supposed to be extra wavy because of the weather. The ferry takes about three hours, and you park your car down below and then go hang out on the top decks and do whatever you want. The ride was AWFUL, it was so choppy. I even got a little seasick with the medicine so I can’t imagine if I hadn’t taken it. I would have been puking over the edge the entire time.
When we got off the ferry, we headed towards Abel Tasman National Park which is at the very top of the island. We thought about skipping this area because we would have to back-track a little bit, but after reading about it we decided it is worth seeing. Since we didn’t get off the ferry until almost 5, we decided to drive to Nelson, which is about halfway there. There was also a little town on the way to Nelson that called itself “the mussel capital of New Zealand”…which is weird because I thought I had already been to “the mussel capital of New Zealand” when I was in the Coromandel Peninsula. I guess anyone is allowed to claim to be whatever they want. We stopped at this particular mussel capital and had steamed mussels…some in white wine and garlic, some in Thai curry with coconut milk…both very good.
I’m also looking forward to the south island because the towns have names like “Nelson” and “Christchurch” instead of “Whatuwuiwui” and ‘Manganui.” It will be a lot easier for me to remember where I am and where I’m going.

man, im sitting at my desk at my office reading this, and im so jealous! youre making me want to go outside, want to eat seafood, and explore. but i dont want to be cold. we had an amazing weekend of weather back home.
ReplyDeleteive only had mussels once, and i liked them. im sure they're nothing like out there, but i might try some again next time im at a seafood restaurant.
i looked at a map when i finished to see exactly where you are. its pretty cool that you're keeping us up to date, i really enjoy your updated.
the pictures of the seals are awesome.
have a good wednesday!!