Friday, March 27, 2009

Greymouth












Yesterday we left Westport and headed south towards Greymouth. On the way to Greymouth, we stopped about half way to look at the Pancake Rocks. They're a bunch of rocks that look layered like pancakes. There was supposed to be some blowhole/geyser thing but of course it didn't go off while we were there. Nature hasn't really cooperated with us so far.

Around dinner time, we went on the Monteith's brewery tour. We got to taste all of their beers...I think there were 7 of them. Then after we tasted, we could have as much as we wanted of our favorite. I'm usually not crazy about dark beers, but I really liked theirs called Monteith's Black so when I signed the guest book, in the comments section I wrote "once you go black, you never go back." I was talking about the beer I liked so I'm not sure why Katy was embarassed.
Anyway, today we got up early to go to our knifemaking class. A couple gives the class at their house/farm and takes you through the whole process of making your own knife. We got to do everything from heating and pounding the steal, the sanding the blade and the handle, and shaping it how we wanted. In between knife stuff we got to play with their farms animals, throw axes and throwing stars, and swing on the giant swing. It was a really fun day and our knives turned our really nice. AND the wood on my handle was from an old New Zealand mental institution...AWESOME!! Steven, our instructor, said "it was from the dormatory of a mad woman"...haha.
Knifemaking is a full day activity so we just came back to our campsite tonight and we'll head out to the glaciers in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment