All of my wishes came true. The new house managers came and cleaned the ENTIRE house. It's like a new place. They cleaned the carpets, both bathrooms, the kitchen and fixed a bunch of little stuff around the building. It still smells a little bit like old beer and boys but not nearly as bad. I guess if I were going to be here for a year, I would have done the same thing. And I think they're going to be a lot better about enforcing the cleaning schedule, etc. The property managers fixed the Internet the other day too!
On Friday the weather finally cleared up enough for us to go to the beach. It was a little bit cool but the sun was out and warmed things up. Everyone here acts like it's freezing outside and it's only been in the low 70s, MAYBE the high 60s. Katy and I have been wearing dresses or jeans and a tank top and our friends always say, are you cold?? I can't believe you're not cold! And it's extra weird because we're from Texas and they're all from cold places like England or Scotland. Shouldn't WE be the cold ones??
It actually did turn out to be cold that night so Katy and I bundled up and went out to a bar down the street with a bunch of people from the house. The bar was featuring house music that night and since we hang out with almost all Europeans, they love their techno. Katy has done a really good job of being polite and tolerating it, but I can tell she hates it so much, haha.
Saturday Nina from Germany and Scott from Scotland invited us to "Caesar Saturday." It's not a real thing, they just go down to the Bondi Hotel restaurant on Saturdays and eat Caesar salads. So we went with them, and Nina's friend Reuben was there as well. He used to live in the house but left to go travel up the east coast and just got back. Nice guy but a little bit of a tool. He talked about himself a lot and was one of those people who always has the BEST time. Even if you did the exact same thing, he had a better time. He kept telling us how crazy the house used to be and how everyone used to party on the roof and sometimes there would be over 100 people up there. And we're like, yeah, we know, we live there right now and it's about the same. "No, no, it was just like, I don't even know man, so crazy." Ok, you win, it was crazier when you lived here. It reminded me of that episode of The Office when Ryan comes back from New York and is telling Jim about living in the city and Jim is like, "yeah, I've been to New York, I love it." And then Ryan keeps saying stuff like "yeah but you don't really know until you actually wake up there and feel the energy of the city. You just don't even know"...hahaha. He was a nice guy overall, but WOW.
Reuben has a car so he drove us into the city to get ice cream...even though there's a really good ice cream place right down the street. It was mostly just to get a change of scenery. We met up with his French friend and he kept saying "ehh, Reu-ban, blah blah blah" in his French accent. I waited and waited but he never asked him if he was for scuba.
Yesterday we went over to Dave and Lynette's for a yummy breakfast. Then they took us over to Manly Beach because we hadn't been there yet. It's so nice to have them as tour guides! And the weather cleared up and it turned out to be a beautiful day. Later that day, Katy and I went over to Darling Harbour because there was a festival going on in honor of its 21st Anniversary. There was food and performances and a really great fireworks show at the end of the night. Fun and free!
This morning we went for a run on the beach and then over to the giant shopping center in Bondi Junction to buy clothes for our promotions interview tomorrow. We have to wear black pants and a black button shirt...blah. I hate shopping for stuff that I have to buy or I'm not excited about. Scott is coming to the interview with us because they said we could bring friends. I think it will be end up being more like an orientation. Hopefully I can make a little money before Katy's family comes.
Hmm, I never know what to say at the end of my blogs. I feel like a need some sort of catchphrase. Suggestions welcome.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Alrighty then, g'day mate!"
ReplyDeletecorny but whatever. i love the way you describe people and the things you do, you really do make it feel like we as readers are there. its very refreshing until i finish and realize i JUST started my Monday morning at work...